Neagley & Chase Construction is pleased to have recently completed, and to be nearing completion, on several innovative high-performance and sustainable projects, including Vermont Public Radio, the North Country School Walter P. Breeman Performing Arts Center, and the Shelburne Community Library.
Key to the success of these energy efficient facilities has been the emphasis placed on ensuring a robust envelope that meets rigorous air infiltration standards. The following planning and implementation steps have been critical to the success in delivering these high-performance envelopes:
- Constructability reviews during preconstruction: Conducting a thorough review and gaining a complete understanding of the materials, details, and sequencing of the wall assembly. Working closely with the Design Team to inform and adjust for performance, cost and constructability benefits.
- Mock-up of exterior wall assembly: Constructing a full-scale mock-up of the exterior wall assembly to include all materials; with a focus on material intersections and transitions, openings and penetrations, and inside and outside corners. Review and refinement of the mock-up with Design Team, Owner, and Sub-contractors.
- Pre-installation meetings: Focused pre-installation meetings with the building envelope consultant and trades working on the exterior wall assembly, from the concrete subcontractor through the finish siding installer, to work out consistent, certifiable installation techniques.
- Isolated testing of key details/assemblies prior to final blower door testing: Involvement of an independent testing agency or envelope commissioning agent to provide progress testing of select building areas and key details. These efforts are further supplemented by the use of NCC’s own fog machine and our on-staff BPI certified professionals.
- Constant quality control and observation: The value in providing continuous on-site training, observation, and quality control can not be overstated.
Although air-tight envelope construction is only one component of a high-performance and sustainable project, NCC is proud of the passion, skills, and success we have established to-date and look forward to next challenge.